Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I changed a light switch and there are three wires to plug

Customer Question

I changed a light switch and there are three wires to plug into it. I was able to get the light to turn on once I had done this but in the meantime I had played with the breakers to turn off the power. I turned all the breakers off and on a few times to try and figure out why I now have two bedrooms that won't allow the lights to turn on... Did I blow a fuse or possible hook one of the wires up wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) What type of light switch? A single pole switch that has 2 brass screws or a 3-way switch that has 1 black screw and 2 brass screws?

2) Inside the wall switch box, were there any pigtail splices with plastic wire nuts that you had to undo when replacing the switch?

3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester ( a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available?