Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Have a 15 amp breaker n the main going to garage, in the

Customer Question

have a 15 amp breaker n the main going to garage, in the garage I have (3) 15 amp breakers to going to outlets and one to lights. right or wrong. also Im going to change it tonight. Have a 60 amp going into a 100 amp subpanel.. Light and outlites are not coming on sometimes.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter available? If so, measure the voltage at the wall receptacles from Hot to Neutral, Hot to Ground and Neutral to Ground and let me know the voltage measurements.

2) How many circuits are affected? You mention one 15 amp to the garage but you also mention three other 15 amp circuits? I'm confused, how many circuits feed to the garage? 1 or 3?

3) Is the garage circuit or circuits being fed from the sub-panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
0ne 15 amp from the main to garage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 breakers in the garage don't know if that's right, worked for a few weeks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for confirming.

1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to measure for voltage?

2) I suspect that somewhere in the circuit, there is a loose wire termination or a faulty wire nut splice that is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lights works fine in garage the outlets go off and on,
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is an indication of a loose wire termination. You need an AC voltmeter to narrow down if the problem is a loose hot or a loose neutral wire.