Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have lost power to my garage.it is an old house.i have

Customer Question

I have lost power to my garage.it is an old house.i have found that I have 4 wires going into the garage.where it comes into the garage into a box I undid all the wires .there r 2 black and 2 white wires.i run my digital multimeter from ground to one black and it is 117v the other black is 97v.I one blk to wht get same reading and same to other wht..the same thing happens with the other blk..I touch one blk to a 2 prong light and a wht to the other.the light doesn't work.same with the other wht..I do the same with the other blk and whites.light does not work..help please!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The voltage measurement of 117 volts for the 1 hot conductor is a normal voltage. However, the voltage measurement of 97 volts is too low and indicates a loose or faulty splice on that hot conductor.

2) Check if there is a junction box located somewhere in the home that is upstream of the garage box that you are measuring from. Most likely a faulty wire nut splice in a junction box or another box.