Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am in the process of buying a home,during the inspection,

Customer Question

I am in the process of buying a home,during the inspection, it was found that 2 power receptacles within the home are not grounded. When I brought this to the attention of the seller, this was the following response
"The outlets in question read "open ground" because they are powered by the original wire containing a neutral and hot feed without a ground. The new service panel feeds power to every outlet and switch in the home by way of gfci protected breakers (other than the dryer and HVAC). Every installation phase and component of the electrical system was brought up to current code by a licensed electrician and inspected and passed by the county as part of the renovation. The ungrounded outlets on gfci breakers are safer than grounded outlets on standard breakers. An electrician and/or the county inspections department can verify this information."- Is this a satisfactory explanation?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The National Electrical Code which is followed by every municipal jurisdiction allows the GFCI device to protect the older circuits not having a ground. It is perfectly acceptable.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Let me add that the outlets protected need to be identified. There is a stick on label stating "GFCI protected - no ground" that should be on the outlets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mike, you've been a great help!Brooke
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Enjoy your new home.