Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I t 2 110 power lines with a mounting screw. Blew fuse. I

Customer Question

I hit 2 110 power lines with a long mounting screw. Blew fuse. I opened the wall to assess the ability to reconnect using 2 junction boxes along the stud about 2 feet apart. One of the two lines I hit looks perfectly normal. However one line has dark burnt soot in it probably from the surge. The paper inside the 14/2 line is grey not tan anymore and the white wire has a grey streak running through. I do not know how long the this soot runs. Can I run the replacement if connected to the affected wire?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If you cut the cable and install a Tyco Splice, you can close the wall without a junction. They are available at Home Depot for $8.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is more geared towards assessing wire condition. Can i cannect to the existing wire with signs of soot?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

They look OK.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You'll cut them back to 1 inch from the sheath to install the Tyco.