Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My r02-gfnl1-00w is showing a flashing red light, not as

Customer Question

My r02-gfnl1-00w is showing a flashing red light, not as usual the wonderful light. It also provides no power.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Disconnect the LOAD side wire connections and reset the GFCI. Does the GFCI now have power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, but I am not familiar with the device. Which is the Load side wire?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) You have a GFCI receptacle that is not working, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget about a phone call
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for confirming.

1) A GFCI receptacle has 2 separate connections......ie.......LINE side for the hot circuit feed and LOAD side for a downstream connection to other receptacles. On the back of a GFCI receptacle, it will be labeled LINE and LOAD. Turn the circuit breaker OFF and temporarily disconnect the LOAD connection (if you have downstream receptacles). If the GFCI does not trip under a "no load" condition, then the GFCI is working and the problem is downstream from the GFCI and is either a short circuit or a ground fault that is tripping the GFCI.

2) If no LOAD side termination and only LINE side terminations, then you have a short circuit or ground fault either at the GFCI box or upstream of the GFCI receptacle.

Reply back and let me know the results when disconnecting the LOAD side terminations.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) GFCI receptacles have a LINE and a LOAD side connection. LINE = the circuit feed into the GFCI and LOAD = the circuit leaving the GFCI to other downstream receptacles.

2) Refer to the diagram shown below for a common GFCI receptacle that feeds other downstream wall receptacles:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I get a answer soon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) I provided you with answers and recommendations on my previous replies. Are you not able to view them?

2) Was there any recent electrical work performed such as replacing receptacles or wall switches or lighting fixtures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gfci was just installed sept 21.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all the information. It is a bit late, however I will work on it to-morrow.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Thanks for the replies but the install date does not mean anything as all it takes is a short circuit or a ground fault to trip a GFCI. One loose wire in the wrong spot and the GFCI can easily trip.

2) Does the GFCI have a LOAD side connection? If so, have you temporarily disconnected the LOAD side connections and see if the GFCI has power and is able to reset and does not trip? In order to troubleshoot the problem, this is the 1st required step.

Reply back to me tomorrow and let me know how things go. I will be logged on the web site tomorrow (Friday)............Take care for now and we'll catch up with you tomorrow...........Thanks.............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)