AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have another question. Hopefully this one is slightly less

Customer Question

Hi Tommy, I have another question for you. Hopefully this one is slightly less complicated than our current one! We have recently installed new cabinets in our laundry room. Ideally we'd like to install under cabinet lighting that is controlled by a light
switch or remote. We also hope to do as little damage to the visible walls as possible. What are our options for going about this? And of those options is there one that you'd most recommend? I've included some photos of the laundry room. Thanks, Liz
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo of laundry room
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

There are many variables that have to be explored to determine the best feasible way to install the under cabinet lights.

Since they are not continuous, it is much more difficult and time consuming, since you have to fish wires up or down at every location

to install a lighting fixture.

The first major hurdles are:

Is there attic that is accessible and has enough height room at all locations?

Is there a basement area or crawl space under each location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know for sure about the attack, but there is a crawl space directly under the laundry room and it looks like there's good access through there.

Yea, looks like room for working, just a little tricky underneath because it is hard to tell where the wall
is located, but still doable.
What you have to do, is drill a hole underneath into the wall space, so that you fish cables up the wall
to each location.
One location will be the switch, then the others to the lights.
You would have a junction box similar to the one there now.
Run a single cable to the switch location and single cables to each light location. Then add a cable
from a power source.
Then make all the taps in the junction box.
It takes a lot of measuring and mapping out before you do the work. This is so you know
where you will be drilling to line up the hole to the location, so when you make the hole upstairs, you can
get the cable and pull it out the opening.

I will tell you now, if no experience it will take a long time and frustrating.
I have spent an hour or so, just to get a single cable to pull out the opening upstairs.
That does not include any other labor.

Think of it this way:
You drill a hole into the lip bot***** *****p of the cabinet, so the cable will come out
into the area underneath and will not be seen.
You then have to line up a hole you drill in the crawl space to make it pretty close to the one
upstairs.
You then slide the cable straight up the wall about 3 feet higher than the location upstairs, then make the cable
stay in that location so it will not slide back down.
Then go upstairs and use a very small wire to slide into the wall with a small loop and fish the cable to the hole
Then you have to work it out of the hole.
Two people works better so you can communicate with each other on what is happening, but I have done many alone.

It would take 4 or 5 pages to write up a sequence in the entireity and then still miss something
that could make it harder than it looks.

Thats the summary, not sure if you wish to tackle the job or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram for what you're recommending? Also, what types of wire would I use? And if I want three receptatacles and the switch....is there a best method for connecting all the wires in the junction box?

There is only one way to connect in the junction box, so there is no best method.

I will make a diagram for the situation and post after completion

You must use the same cable as existing where you get the power from, so wherever you plan on acquiring power, read the label on the outside and see if ti is 14/2 or 12/2 NM cable.