AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I would like to run power from the meter pole to my garage.

Customer Question

I would like to run power from the meter pole to my garage. I have a 200A feed from meter on pole to main panel in the house. I purchased a 200A disconnect that has feed through lugs, and can also handle upto 8 additional breakers. My plan is to run the
200A through the feed through lugs, than use a 80 amp breaker to feed the garage. I'm using use 2-2-2-4 AL wire from disconnect panel to panel in the garage. I'm a bit confused on how to do this. In the meter there are 2 lines (hot) 1 neutral, on the line
side, on the load side there are the 2 hots, and the neutral and ground is together, now wiring that in the disconnect is simple being it feeds straight through, how or where do my wires for the garage hook up to?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Thanks for the details on the situation.

The key here, is that the neutral and ground will ONLY come in contact with each other at the Main location.

There after, the ground and neutral must be completely isolated from each other.

Also, in your situation, since the location at the garage is a separate structure, you are required to install grounding rods to add to the ground connection.

See the below diagram fro an example, which shows how sub panels are installed in detached buildings from the Main disconnect.

Let me know any questions,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so does the panel in the house stay the same?

From the posting, the house panel is existing.

Anything existing does not change, only new installations are required to be in the newer requirements.

If the house is also a brand new installation, then it should be wired with 4 wires and connected the same as the garage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't bond the subpage correct?

No, the sub panel does not get the bonding screw through the neutral bar either.

Ground and neutral 100 % separated

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the neutral not carry current?

Dont why the question, but yes, it carries current just like a hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Than why in the drawing is the neutral and ground hooked in the same bar in the main disconnect.

Because the neutral grounds at the Main, that is required at the main only.

It is a 3 wire power at the main.

The main is where the ground starts, then it is separated and 4 wire from it to any other locations.

Required Neutral-to-Case Connections.
Service Disconnecting Means [250.24(B)]. Because electric utilities are not required to install an equipment grounding conductor, alternating-current services supplied from a grounded utility transformer shall have a grounded (neutral) conductor run from the electric utility transformer to each service disconnecting means. The grounded (neutral) conductor shall be bonded to each disconnecting means’ enclosure (neutral-to-case connection) by a screw or strap supplied by the equipment manufacturer [250.28]. Figures 37 and 38 250-24B 01.cdr 250-24B 02.cdr

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concern is the main panel now is in my basement, I install a main disconnect on the pole after the meter the panel in the basement becomes a sub panel correct?

Ok,

If there is no disconnect at the pole now, and the power runs from the meter to the house panel, then the house is the main now.

If you now install a new disconnect at the meter, the house becomes a sub panel, and it MUST have a 4 wire feeder tot he panel, the 3 wire feeder is obsolete.

I understood the situation as there was an existing disconnect and you were just changing it to a different type to feed thru

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no sorry new install of the disconnect. So I have to rip up my old feeder wire from my house to the pole and install 4 wires? Can't I just install the disconnect as is, run 2 hots from the breaker in the disconnect to the garage, ground and bond the panel at the garage?

Well, wish I could say yes, but code dictates the rules and I have to provide the information accordingly through my state licensing and for the safety of the ground fault path.

Main only with the neutral to ground bond.

Not sure what 2 hots are doing for you with only 240 volts?

Would be best to come off the main panel at the house, but understand it may be further away in some applications.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are pictures of the meter and the disconnect I want to install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's pretty far away from the house to garage. So what would happen if I used the feed through disconnect at the pole, hooking up the house as it is in the meter in the disconnect, than hooking up the garage in the disconnect box with the ground and neutral hooked together in the disconnect box, and keep the neutral and ground separate at the subpage in the garage?

You do not connect the ground to the neutral in junction boxes, never allowed at anytime.

You are creating a path for current on the ground, if the neutral ever is broken. Very dangerous.

That is a long run for this happen on also

Underground aluminum will fail at some point in time if not in conduit, repair these all the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok can I run 2 hots and a neutral from the disconnect to the sub panel in the garage, ground and bond the panel in the garage?

I am not sure of what you are asking, sorry. It sounds like you wish for me to provide something different than what I have done thus far.

I can give the direction of how it is supposed to be wired by the code for your safety and operation and that is all I am allowed to do.

I think it is posted unless something is unclear on the previous postings?

I cannot provide instruction for wiring that could be dangerous or against code.

I understand the dilemma, but please understand my responsibilities also.

What you wish to perform would not be permitted by the local jurisdiction, so if anything did take place, the insurance probably would not cover in the situation.