AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My Mobile home is 1971 and just this year i tried to plug

Customer Question

My Mobile home is 1971 and just this year i tried to plug something in and i blow the whole side of the walls and corners .They stopped working tried to reset the breaker didnt work. Last night i forcefully pulled a power cord out of my bedroom cause it was behind my dresser and it shut down the whole left side of my my place . Please help i don't know wheathe is something i can do as far as replacing something or is it more of a professional job.
We have been running extension cords for power to rooms .
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, many of the mobile homes in the 70's were badly wired using aluminum wire, and those can become quite a problem, especially if you are using extension cords...

So far your wiring sounds like a serious hazard and definitely needs to be seen in person by a locally licensed electrician.

If you tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city I can see if I can locate a well rated electrical contractor for you.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant afford one or i would have called one you cant help
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, earlier you ask if this is something that requires a professional to correct...and it does unfortunately.

This is not a good do it yourself project. You would be putting yourself and your families lives at risk.

I will opt out so that other of our experts here might be able to give you a safe answer on line here.

.

Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Do all of your circuits, reset and turn to the on position?

Are you comfortable removing receptacles out the boxes to inspect the wiring and connections?

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your Awesome all fix two beakers where off as soon as moved then over i have all electric current . I have been without in the living room all year!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to replace most outlets in the house tho . most of broken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another problem i pluged in light in living room and i get the light dimming on and off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outlet gets warm

Ok, excellent that you have some power back

It does sound like you still have some loose connections that need to be addressed, since the outlet is getting warm and the light dims on its own.

That is a definite sign of a loose connection.

The only way to address this, is to actually remove the receptacle and redo where the wires connect.

It can be done yourself if you feel comfortable doing so, you must turn off the breakers in order to complete the task.

If you are not comfortable doing this, you might see if someone you know can assist or another family member.

If one outlet has a loose wire, it can affect some others also, so you have keep a watch in case the looseness gets worse than it is now and shuts off more of them later.

That is about the only way to address the problem, wish there was an easier way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure i understand loose connect on the outlet or the wiring inside the wall?

Ok,

The wires connect to the outlets, that is how they get power.

The wire becomes loose and that causes all the problems because it cannot provide the proper voltage and causes dimming and heating in the outlet.

The wires in the walls is how the power is distributed throughout the house.