Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

New electric stove installation with the new 50amp 3 cond

Customer Question

New electric stove installation with the new 50amp 3 cond w/ground wall recep & plug. With breaker in the "on" position the common "white" wire arc & tripped one side of the 50A CB when attempt to plug in, leaving a definite arc burn on the coomon make prong. Checked stove wiring, red to red, black to black, white to white w/ green on same terminal. Wall recep was checked and appeared to be wire correctly w/ white across from green and red across from black. Why the arc?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Since the range circuit is a 4 wire circuit, the neutral and the equipment grounding conductor DO NOT get bonded at the same screw terminal on the rear of the range. The bare copper ground wire gets terminated to a separate green ground screw located on the frame of the range. The white neutral terminates only to the middle screw terminal. The 2 hots.....ie..........black and red can terminate to either the left or right side screw terminals. Doesn't matter if black or red are on the left or right.

2) Double check all of the receptacle terminations to make sure none are loose.

3) Shown in the diagram below is the standard wiring configuration for a standard 50 amp, 4 prong range receptacle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the stove connection there is a green ground terminal below the power strip. The ground terminal has a strap from tis termination to the white wire terminal on power strip. See attached picture. Should that be removed and the green ground wire in plug attached to that green ground screw?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies and the picture.

1) Remove the bonding strap as that is only used when the circuit is a 3 wire and doesn't contain a separate ground wire. Your circuit is a 4 wire, the receptacle is a 4 prong and the cord is a 4 wire. Therefore, the neutral to ground bonding jumper strap is NOT required and is NOT used in this application.

2) The 4 wire range cord needs to terminate onto 4 separate screw terminals at the rear of the range. Black or red to either the 2 outermost screw terminals, white neutral to the middle screw terminal and the green ground cord wire directly to the range frame green ground screw.

3) Un-plug the 4 prong cord from the wall receptacle. If the breaker does not trip while under a "no load" condition, that confirms the breaker, the circuit and the wall receptacle are wired correctly. If the breaker trips when plugging the range cord into the receptacle, either a mis-wired conductor on the cord screw terminals or an internal fault with the range.

4) Loose wire terminations will cause an arc.

Reply back to me and let me know how you make out.............Thanks............Kevin:)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin, i think there was a blind electrician that wired the wall recep. This is what get:
L1 to White 256V
L2 to White 15V
White to Gnd 125V
Would this the wiring in the CB Panel is Wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin, more info. On the stove I separated the ground/ green by removing the bonding jumper as you instructed so now there is definitely four seperate wires terminated on the stove side. Plugged the stove into the wall recep then turned the breaker on but nothing, the CB did not trip but no power to the stove control unit, light in oven doesn't even work. Checked the voltage on each wire on the stove terminals and got readings indicated in previous email. Turned the CB off & unplugged the stove plug from wall recep. Remove wall recep cover & pulled the recep our to check the voltages on those terminals/wires turned on CB again getting the same readings as previous email. It must either be at the CB panel or something wrong with wiring in the wall. This house (1980 era) was just purchased by my daughter after a complete restoration. Apparently this was missed during inspection. Can a 220/240 CB breakdown & cause something like this? Or electrician or finish contractor may have damaged the wire. I think this is beyond me.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) Using your volt meter check for the following voltages:

A) Inside the electrical panel, measure for approximately 240 volts on the 2 screws at the double pole circuit breaker. Also at the breaker, measure for 120 volts on 1 breaker screw hot wire to the neutral bus bar and measure for 120 volts on the 2nd breaker hot screw terminal to the neutral bus bar. If the breaker is working correctly, you will measure voltage at the breaker with these 3 different measurements.

B) At the wall receptacle, measure for 240 volts on the 2 middle vertical slots. Measure for 120 volts from 1 vertical slot to the bottom neutral slot. Move the meter probe over to the 2nd middle vertical slot and measure for 120 volts to the bottom neutral slot. If all 3 good measurements, then the circuit is wired correctly.

C) At the double pole breaker, there should be a red and a black. At the neutral bus bar, there should be a white and a green or a bare copper. Your W to G (Neutral to Ground) measurement suggests a loose neutral or wired incorrectly. N to G voltage should always = 0 volts or close to 0 volts.

D) The receptacle may be wired incorrectly. I am unable to determine from the back of the receptacle.

Red and black terminate to the 2 middle slots (X & Y). White terminates to the "W" bottom slot opposite the round ground hole. The bare copper ground terminates to the round ground hole (G).

Refer to the wiring diagram I originally sent you.

NEMA 14-50R Receptacle Wiring

W = white neutral

X= Red or black

Y = Red or black

G = bare copper ground

If your AC voltmeter has a built-in audible continuity feature, you can use it to check for a possible cut cable.

Let me know if the range now works correctly after making the corrections...........Thanks...........Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello again........just wanted to follow up with you.

Any luck on getting the range to work correctly?