Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Goodmornng. I have a Dayton industrial electric heater model

Customer Question

Goodmornng. I have a Dayton industrial electric heater model 1RKT9A .I bought an extension cord 220 v , to make the connection. The extension cord has a green , white , and black cable , and the heaters imput has , T1 , T2 , and T3. How can I make the connection.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Your question is more electrical in nature than it is HVAC. Typically, the wiring up TO the unit is covered by electricians, and the wiring within the unit is covered by HVAC techs. That being the case, I have asked the Moderators to move your question to the electrical category.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

While we wait for your question to be moved, I'll look up the specs on your heater.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I see two different model numbers posted, in reference to your heater... 1RKT5A, and 1RKT9A.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully, you have the 1RKT5A, since it operates on single phase power. Assuming you will be using the heater in a residence, you would not have 3 phase power available there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I undestand that , I just want to know how to make the connection to the heater .
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I just need to know for sure which model number you have, because they connect differently. Also, your power supply wires should go to terminals marked L1 and L2, not T1, T2, etc.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to post a wiring diagram from your heater? I have wiring diagrams for several models open on my computer screen. But I can't tell you which diagram to use (or how to connect it) until I know for sure which unit you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , but that is what the heater reads . But I'll double check and I'll get back with you .and is an 1RKT5A Model
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I made some notes on a wiring diagram that matches your unit. I'll post it here.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you are able to view this.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It appears Microsoft Paint cut off the last word of the red text I put on the wiring diagram. That word is "source".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would the connection to the 1RKT9A would be .
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Let me check. I still have it on my screen. Do you mind standing by?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Here's the 3 phase model's power connections.