ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have been asked to wire 3 50/30/20 and 1 30/20 campground

Customer Question

I have been asked to wire 3 50/30/20 and 1 30/20 campground pedestal plugs. The furthest (30/20) is 800' away. Problem is I only have acces to a 200 amp service. Can I do this without a 400 amp upgrade. I've never been asked to do a job like this.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

This depends on the existing load in the 200 A panel. Do you know how much much is available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in a park shelter. Currently it is a 100 amp panel. We are upgrading to a 200 amp service.m I'm sure the shelter gets used every weekend of the summer. So I don't know what the existing load is.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

If it has been operating without problems on a 100 A service and these pedestalsites are the only additional load, the 200 A is more than adequate and will not be a problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My research shows I should be able to run all these off of a 125 amp circuit is that correct, can't wrap my head around that
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Sure, the max load on the 50/30/20 should be less than 50 A and on the 30/20 a max of less than 30 A. Only one outlet at each pedestal should be used at a one depending on the size of the unit that is using the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 50/30/20 s as I stated in the original question
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Missed that. Obviously that is a different requirement. Is this a single-phase or three-phase service?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Single phase
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** need to upgrade the service and 400 A is the next logical size. You could do a 300 A but there is usually not a savings and this would not leave any capacity for future. You know that you can add another 200 A Main Breaker Panel if you have room. You would then change the meter base to a 400 A and feed both 200 A Panels directly from the meter base.

You 125 A is a bit high, I get just over 100 A of new load with the demand factor.

What is the distance to the first pedestal and approximate distance between them?