Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

In removing a piece of rotten wooden soffit I did not see an

Customer Question

In removing a piece of rotten wooden soffit I did not see an electical wire and the hack saw damaged the casing. No short occurred but I do not know if any conductors were damaged. I do not know where this line goes, but I suspect it may be a 220 line. I think I should replace that section of wire using a couple of junction boxes and some new wire. I do not know how to assure that there is no power to this location. Can this be done without shutting power to the entire house?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If you have a non-contact voltage tester, the tester will confirm if there if voltage present on the conductors. If you suspect it is a 240 volt circuit, the circuit breaker in the panel will be a double pole type. You can shut OFF all of the double pole breakers in the panel until it is confirmed that voltage is no longer present on the cable using the non-contact voltage tester. If a non-contact voltage tester is not available, you will not have other options but to disconnect power at the electrical panel via the main circuit breaker.

2) If the cable insulation was cut and compromised, you will need a section of wire the same size and type as the existing cable and 2 junction boxes that will need to be accessible. National Electrical Code requires that all boxes be "accessible".

3) Another possibility, if the cable is NM Romex (you would need to confirm this), you could use a Tyco Romex splice kit and then junction boxes would not be required. Keep in mind that the Tyco splice kit is only rated and approved for NM Romex cables and no other types.

Refer to link shown below for the Tyco Romex splice kit sold at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-CPGI-1116377-2/202204326

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello.............just wanted to follow up with you.

Do have any questions regarding my answers and recommendations?

If no other questions, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)