Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My partner has connected an American cooking device 120v

Customer Question

my partner has connected an American cooking device 120v through an adaptor to the power socket. The end result is that we have lost power in all power sockets, bathroom, cooker, boiler.
The lights and fridge are working correctly because they are connected to the main power socket. All circuits affected are connected to the RCD unit.
I have replaced the RCD unit (for a different brand but compatible) and the same result.
The RCD can re-set but no power and the test button don't work (don't trip the RCD)
The socket affected: I have replaced for a brand new one and no changes. However, I couldn't see any signal of damaged and/or burnt (neither any smell).
The adaptor used to plug the device to the socket doesn't have any signal of damaged, however the smell is very strong (plastic and electrical burnt)
I would like to know if there is anything I can do to get back to normal.
Thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a picture of the box and the breakers.

I take it the MCB is still ok?