Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My wall switch will not turn off my ceiling light / fan and

Customer Question

My wall switch will not turn off my ceiling light / fan and I'm afraid that its a fire hazard tonight as it is 10:30 p.m. here what do I do?
Nothing new has been touched or added to the wiring system for 8 years I do believe the ceiling fan was a hack job eight years ago but it has not caused many problems
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main question since it is bedtime and my wife is already asleep should I leave the switch in the on position or OFF position for safety or what should I do considering it is almost 11 p.m.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Does the ceiling fan have pull chains to turn the fan and light OFF?

2) Leaving a ceiling fan in the ON position does not pose any safety issue at all. All of the ceiling fans in my home run 7x24x365 and I never shut them OFF.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not worried about leaving the light switch on I'm worried that whatever is calling causing the switch on the wall to not work is causing a short that will burn us to death I pulled the chain the light is off the wall switch I left on even though it doesn't matter on or off that light is giving power what do I do for immediate safety?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the replies.

1) If there is a short in the wiring, the circuit breaker will trip.

2) The only other immediate option you have is turn the circuit breaker that controls the fan/light to the OFF position. However, when you de-energize the fan/light by turning the breaker OFF, you will also de-energize the receptacles in the room and possibly any adjacent rooms.