Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

The 2 wires used from the house are both black. the 2 wires

Customer Question

the 2 wires used from the house are both black. the 2 wires on the old thermostat are red and black. the replacement thermostat has both black wires, one labeled t1 and the other l1. does it matter which wire goes to each house wire?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Yes it matters. The L1 & L2 labeled wires are the hot circuit feed from the electrical panel (L1 & L2 = LINE) and terminates to the L terminations.

2) The T1 & T2 labeling is the LOAD side wire which extends out to the connected LOAD.

3) Tstats are commonly labeled as L & T.

L= Line voltage source

T = Thermostat or connected to the LOAD.

4) If you have either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet an AC voltmeter, the LINE side wires can be confirmed by the use of voltage tester to confirm the presence of constant voltage.

5) Since you have 2 black house wires extending to the Tstat wall box, sounds like you have a 240 volt supply?

If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin:)