How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AssuredElectrical Your Own Question
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 4241
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
AssuredElectrical is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am making a bed frame that has a headboard that I'd like

Customer Question

I am making a bed frame that has a headboard that I'd like to have power outlets built into. So imagine 1 or 2 AC outlets coming out of the left side of the headboard, and 1 or 2 out of the right side. They are embedded in the headboard, so when looking at the side of the headboard, you just see the outlet but none of the wiring, which sits inside the headboard. Here's the tricky part, I would like only one wire coming out of the headboard to plug into the wall (coming out of the bottom center), and I don't want to compromise the UL listing of any product. Originally I was thinking of the left and right outlet units being 2 separate products, which would plug into a central hub inside the headboard, and that central hub would have a single wire coming out of the back, but that would be "daisy chaining". The other option I've been thinking about, is using a splitter that has really long end cables, then that would be a single product, but i can't find any splitters where the cables are that long (the single cable often is, but never the two-headed part, which I'd need to be ~45 inches)....any thoughts on how I can make this happen? Products that allow daisy chaining? A long splitter option? Something else? Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

I suggest to use the Tyco splice kits. They come in a couple configurations to suit your needs.
You use standard NM cable like used in the house wiring and you can splice them in a piggyback fashion or straight through connectors

Very easy to configure to your situation. Make your own lengths as needed with stock cable.

Have seen several beds with receptacles and switches for for lighting with these units.


They are NEC compliant for in wall use.

Let me know your thoughts, that is the best option I can think of at the moment.