Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

We have under cabinet halogen puck lights and had a new

Customer Question

We have under cabinet halogen puck lights and had a new transformer installed a couple of years ago by an electrician. The lights have started going on and off on their own. Not flickering, but will come on when we turn them on, stay on for a while and then turn off and then come back on and then off. Is this a sign we need to replace the transformer again?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Your description indicates a bad connection making and breaking due to the heat in a wire with current in it. Check all connections, make sure they are tight. The only other thing would be a thermal protector on the transformer trhat is breaking the circuit due to overheating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply Mike. What could be overheating to cause the thermal protector on the transformer to break? So do I understand correctly that you don't think it's a bad transformer?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarley, check the connections first. If you are using a dimmer for the lights, the transformer may not be the type that is listed for dimming. Check the label for that. A non rated transformer will fail on a dimmer due to the low voltage.