Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

How many 100 amp sub panels can I feed from a 200 amp Main

Customer Question

Customer: How many 100 amp sub panels can I feed from a 200 amp Main panel
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I installed a 200 amp main to supply a garage apartment. I feed the apartment from the 200 amp main. I have built a house adjacent to the apartment and have installed 2-100 amp subpanels in it with the intention of feeding those two subpanels from the 200 amp main. Is this a legal installation?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

It sounds like, you have a 200 amp main service from a single utility meter, is this correct?

Then you have connected an apartment to this main? What amperage 100?

How is this connection taking place? Is the main a breaker panel?

Does the panels identification label show that a 100 amp breaker can be used in the panel?

Or is this some other type of disconnect?

The total allowed connection on any single service must be calculated and determined as suitable, so need all the electrical appliances, along with all

the sqft area of both apt and house to begin any type of determination of the load.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks