Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a question. We are trying to install a light in the

Customer Question

Hello Jason. I have a question for you. We are trying to install a light in the dining room of a condo that was built in 1951. There was a previous light fixture there that worked but was connected (hard wired) to a fire alarm. This was not up to electrical code and needed to be removed. After removing the fire alarm I can not get the new light to turn on? There are 3 red wires, 2 black wires, 1 white wire and 1 purple wire. The switch is wired using a red wire and a purple wire. After connecting those 2 wires to the light switch the light will not come on. Any ideas as to how to wire this so the light will turn on and off at the switch? Thank you. -Paul
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul. Welcome to Just Answer. Are you able to post a photo of the ceiling box, with all wires shown?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are two pictures.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for posting the photos. Would it be okay with you if I look it over tomorrow evening, and get back with you then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be fine. Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Have you identified the constantly hot live wire yet? There should be at least one in the box. It may be spliced to other wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jason. I know that there is at least one black wire that is constantly hot. But I am not sure if there are more. Did you get the picture of the wires on the switch side of the circuit? On the switch side there is 1 purple wire and 1 red wire. But no black wires going to the switch. I am helping a friend out with her condo and I didn't have my meter with me to test the wires to tell what was hot or neutral or ground. I thought the circuit was off at the breaker box but when I tried connecting to the black wires it shut off the bedroom lights when I disconnected the black wires. So I know one of the black wires is always hot.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I only got one photo, of the ceiling box. If you are open to it, I suggest changing the format of our conversation to a phone consultation. I think we'll resolve the issue much faster that way. I work full time away from this site, but I will have time to work with you over the phone tomorrow evening. There is a slight price increase for phone consultation, but I think you'll be happy with it. Please let me know your thoughts about it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather just email back and forth. I am not sure that my friend wants to pay the extra money and to be honest I gave you as much information as I could. I will have my friend send you the pictures again because I think that she forgot to send one. Thanks Jason. Take a look at them tomorrow night and let me know what you come up with. Thanks again.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. Yesterday evening was crazy busy for me... multiple medical appointments, etc. Anyway, is there any way you can meet me here on the site while you are at the house, with a volt meter handy for testing?