AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Pls750c1000 i just installed is buzzing when i try to turn

Customer Question

pls750c1000 i just installed is buzzing when i try to turn on the light it is connected to
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please give me the total count and colors of all wires in the switch box.

Also, is this the only switch operating the light, or is there a 2nd switch also in another location?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy,There are four wires in the switch box: black, red, white, and a bare copper ground wire. Yes, there is another switch in another location that also operates the same light.Karl

Ok, thanks for the added information.

Need to look at your other switch box, all the wires in that box, and post them back here.

The timer you have, requires a neutral for operation and with only the 3 wires you have in that switch box, it doesnt have one.

The 3 wires are only for power, so you will have to some some rewiring at the other switch box, EVEN if it is possible.

The other switch may only have 2 cables and wired in a way that this timer will not work on the setup and need to get one that wires differently.

We see this quite often on homes.

So:

1. Look at the other switch for this light and get the count and colors of the wires.

2. See if there is a white in the box, that is connected to a black wire and capped off or make notes of how all the wiring in that box is made up.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other switch box has two black wires and one white, all wired into the switch. I don't see any white wire capped off.

Ok,

That is an odd set of wires, not respective to cables or conduit wiring in the home.

If 2 blacks, there should minimum of 2 whites, so unsure how or why this could be the situation.

Based on what oyu provided, the timer will not be the type you need.

You have no neutral wire to operate the one you have now, and need to get a different one.

The ones below only use the 3 wires you have now, and do not need the extra neutral connection.

Either one will work in direct replacement

CLICK HERE for one

CLICK HERE for another

Wish the one you have could be used, but just not possible with the way the switches were wired. This happens often and we always recommend or install the Intermatic ones shown above for our customers.