AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a ceiling fan with 3 speeds, but I wanted a speed

Customer Question

I have a ceiling fan with 3 speeds, but I wanted a speed between the low and medium settings, so I had my landlord replace the simple single-pole switch with a dimmer-like switch. But this switch was not compatible with my fan and led to a lot of noise
(hum) from the fan motor. So I turned off the circuit breaker and removed the dimmer-like switch, and I'm trying to put the original switch back in. The switch is old and does not have a grounding screw. The electrical box is newer, plastic, and has a ground
wire. So what should I do with the ground wire? Cover the tip with a wire connector? I was going to connect it to part of the metal switch strip/strap, but the ONLY advice I found on the web was to cover the tip.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

If the switch has no grounding screw and the box is plastic, there is no need to connect the ground wire since it just isn't possible in your situation.

You do not need to cap ground wires, since most times they are bare to start with, unless yours is insulated and in which case you would cap it off.

Just push it back in the box so that it cannot touch any of the power connections and it will be safe and fine.

Might think of getting a newer switch in the future just to add the ground, but there are many situations where this arises and grounds not used.

Some switches today are designed so they are insulated and do not require grounding, since they cannot produce any possible danger of electric shocks.

Let me know of anything further needed,

Thanks