AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I just installed a new light fixture. There was 1 black

Customer Question

I just installed a new light fixture. There was 1 black wire, 1 white wire and the ground. I tried putting the white wire with the white wire and black with black. The light switch would not switch off. I reversed the wires and same thing. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Are the white and black wires , the only wires in the entire light box?

Was any other work performed on the electrical such as switch changes?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only 1 white wire and 1 black wire ( other than the ground). There was no other work performed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello

Ok, thanks.

Apparently the switch has failed, as your color to color wiring is correct.

I would remove the switch cover with power off, then take only one wire off the switch and see if the light then does not operate when power restored.

That will prove or disprove the switch as being stuck in the on position due to contacts inside the switch.

If there is more than one switch, a 3 way setup, it could be either one, so post back in that situation and we can further troubleshoot the issue.

If you have a 2 lead voltage tester, let me know and can post how to test the switch itself

But, with only 2 wires, it will be in the switch where the problem is located.

Keep me posted,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed 1 wire from the switch and the light did not come on when the fuse was turned back on. Also, I replaced this light fixture because the previous fixture had only 1 light that worked (2 light bulb fixture). Would this also indicate a problem with the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Although the previous light fixture (with the 1 good light bulb) worked fine when the light switch was turned on/off.

Ok, thanks.

One light socket working or not on a multiple socket fixture is normally a loose connection at the fixture or the socket has a loose connection where the wires are riveted to the socket.

The switch would not affect this situation.

You might tap on the switch a few times and see if you can make the contacts open, sometimes this will cure the issue for a while, but it usually comes back because the internal contacts are corroded inside and will weld together again later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The light socket not working was on the old light fixture. The 1 I installed today works fine. I was just giving you additional information. So, is this a problem with the switch?

Yes, the problem is with the switch and why the posting has what to do and then try to correct the issue before getting a replacement

Thanks