Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
33304076

I'm' installing a dimmer. The existing switch had three

Customer Question

Customer: I'm' installing a dimmer. The existing switch had three wires plus a ground wire. Two were stuck in the holes in one was screwed on. I can't push one in the hole on the new dimmer, can I screw it instead? Do I need all 3?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like whawt
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Electrical Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how much of a wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I turn the electricity back on while waiting with everything half connected to the new dimmer so I can get power back to the fridge? What do I do with the third wire if I don't connect it to the new dimmer? If a wire is connected to the push in hole on the old dimmer does it matter if I attach it to the screw instead on the new dimmer, and vice versa?
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

How many screws did existing switch had?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two screws, two holes, just like the new one
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

Do you remember which 2 wires together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

Then this is what you need to do. 2 wires that were together splice them to each other and add black pig tail ( short piece of wire to the splice. Connect the other end of pig tail to one of the brass screws on the dimmer. Connect remaining black wire to the remaining brass screw on the dimmer.

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do think have a pig tail. Where do I get it.
Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

does your new dimmer have back stub holes as well as screws?

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

If yes then you can push one wire in the hole and put another wire under the corresponding screw and tighten the screw

Expert:  Alex replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how it goes.