Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

A complete beginner here so hope you can be patient with me

Customer Question

A complete beginner here so hope you can be patient with me :) I have wired up an outside light which seemed pretty straightforward (brown to brown, blue to blue and green to green). Problem is, Whenni switch the light on it flickers and so does the living room light (living room light is switched off but still flickers)- I live in a new build house (2 years old) and have no trust in the builders so is this a wiring problem or do I have a more underlying issue? - I wired the living room light about a year ago and this has been working fine till now. Many thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

On a home that new, I wouldn't be worried about a serious electrical problem.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like a connection came loose. I would look at the connection where the live wire branches to feed the switch for the outside light, and the switch for the living room light.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

As for a light flickering when the switch is off, that's pretty unusual. It sounds like a low grade of switch was installed.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If possible, I would replace that switch with a better brand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all pretty secure. Do you think it might help if I changed the switches? Everything is pretty cheap in this house!!! Persimmon builders boo!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh you answered before I asked :)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, new switches would be a good place to start. I'm curious about "Persimmon builders". Can you clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give that a try tomorrow, it's really winding me up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you come and change my switches? Haha - no thank you, ***** ***** good evening!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'd love to visit the UK, LOL. Maybe some day. You have a blessed evening as well. I appreciate the opportunity to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jason, switches changed for both lights... No difference unfortunately. One thing to mention, when the living room light is on, the outside light will not switch on at all. It's blown my mind!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

This is sounding more and more like a loose connection. If you put a load on a loose connection, it will cause flickering, and it could cause one load to work and another not to work at all. It could be the OTHER wire for the lights... the one that doesn't pass through the switch. Are you able to post photos here?