Steve G., Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Spent 20 years as an Electrical Engineer, designing electrical plans and specifications.
329447

Wiring method baseboard heater with a non-programmable

Customer Question

Wiring method for a baseboard heater with a non-programmable digital thermostat. Power comes into the baseboard first (20A,240VAC). Thus, two cables into the heater; two red wires & two black wires. At thermostat, only one cable ( 1 black wire & 1 red wire). Thermostat has two black leads, uncoded.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Typically, a thermostat used with a 240V heater should be double pole so that it switches each hot wire in and out. It sounds like yours is single pole. Is this thermostat on the wall or on the baseboard? Can you give me the make and model please of the thermostat AND the baseboard.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Make: Aube
Model: TH209 ( 2 wire non-polarized connection.)
Thermostat is mounted on the wall
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you state that two cables (and 4 wires) come into the heater. Is this because one pair goes off to another heater? Assuming on cable (2 wires) comes from your breaker box, what is the other cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Baseboard heater: 2 cables enter ( both are 12/2). First cable is the power from the electrical panel, second cable goes direct to the thermostat.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So you will also have two wires from the heater.

Connect it all together as shown HERE

Let me know if you need further assistance. I will be here.

Steve

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any further questions on this issue?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Happy Monday to you. Do you have any further questions on this issue?

If not, please rate my service so that I can better help other customers like you.

All the best

Steve