AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I am installing an air conditioning unit and need to run an

Customer Question

I am installing an air conditioning unit and need to run an electrical line to it. The unit is a Goodman with the following specs:
GSX13 Air Conditioner
13 SEER Performance
R-410A Chlorine-Free Refrigerant
compressor
RLA 19.9
LRA 19.9
condenser fan motor
HP 1/4
FLA 1.5
voltage, 60 Hz 208/230
minimum circuit ampacity 26.4
max. overcurrent portection 45 amps
min/max vols 197/253
electrical conduit size 1/2" or 3/4"
The line will be running about 60 feet.
My questions are, for Centennial, located in Arapahoe county Colorado,
1. what is the code for the wire size and types, i.e. from the circuit breaker to knock-out box, knock-out box to compressor,
2. the circuit breaker amp rating (45 amp? by the way I noticed my apartment has a 15 amp breaker for a 20 amp max overcurrent protection),
3. and does it need a knock-out and if so, what amp rating?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go to bed soon; I would like an answer by 7 pm MST.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

I noticed the question still on the board. Most likely there was not an expert on line at the time of your question request.

I did want to respond in case it is still needed.

Your minimum is 26.4 and maximum is 45 amps for the protection of the unit.

So, use a 40 amp double pole breaker at the main panel.

Run a 3/4" conduit from the panel to the disconnect outside at the unit. 1/2" would suffice but the 3/4" makes for an easier installation of the wiring

Install #8 THHN wire in the conduit for power and a #10 THHN wire for the ground

Wire that to the disconnect switch outside which is required for maintenance and emergency shutoff

The disconnect does not need to have a breaker, only an on and off switch is required. They are sold as AC Disconnect at the supply houses.

Use a flexible conduit with the same wires from the disconnect to the condensing unit

Covered in #1, only 40 amp needed because it is higher than the minimum and lower than the maximum.

Not sure what you mean on this, but assume this is the disconnect and it needs to be 40 amp rated, and we usually use a 60 amp rated disconnect. They cost no more than the 40 amp rating if you can even find a 40 amp.

Let me know anything further needed,

Thanks

See the below sketch made for your situation.