Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I was looking up a fix to issue I am having with a Leviton

Customer Question

I was looking up a fix to issue I am having with a Leviton T5625 switch/outlet and saw you guide someone else with how to connect properly. I have a basic understanding of electric, changing outlets, switches installing a line for downlights etc. however am stumped at the moment as to why the switch part is not working once installed. I originally had a seperate duplex outlet and a rocker switch hooked up in that box and working. For some reason I opened the box at some point and the box was a bit full so di not immediately push everything back in. It has been sitting and working that way until when I spotted an option for one switch oulet combo. and decided to go that route.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Tell me how many wires and their colors on the new device. Better yet, upload a picture if you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This box has four sets of wires coming in the side via two ports. one set is the hot wires coming in, another set goes to fixtures and switch on other side of dressing area, one set goes to a wall sconce a couple t above the box providing ongoing power to that fixture. There is one set which had been hooked to a set of pendant lights above the counter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three of the sets are currently joined with their Whites, their Blacks and grounds in one wire nut with an addional wire of each coming out to use for the switch/ outlet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Each of the whites, black and dground are in seperate wire nuts to be clear.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK, connect the device as follows.

On one side there will be either black or gold screws with a bridge between them. Connect the black feed wire there.

On the other side there is a gold and a silver screw. Connect the black wire to the light to the gold screw and the white neutral feed to the silver screw.

The black and neutral feed wires should be connected to the other switches and neutrals as they where when you first opened the box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TI believe that is how I have it yet the switch does not work the lights. The outlet works and everything else in circuit but not the light sitch to pendents. To verify ithey are still working I ran a power cord directly to them after disconnecting from switc. I will go look agin to confirm I have the lines hooked as you suggest.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Is the bridge between the feed side intact? Does the outlet work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By bride I assume you mean the metal peice coinnect the two black screws... if so yes it is.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Does the outlet work?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Was the outlet originally there wired indepentant of the other devices?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the outlet was working.. I have disconnected and am reconnecting wires based on what you are saying.. step by step .. not sure anything is different yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was wired sperately from a rocker switch which previously controled the pendant lights.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I follwed this"On one side there will be either black or gold screws with a bridge between them. Connect the black feed wire there.On the other side there is a gold and a silver screw. Connect the black wire to the light to the gold screw and the white neutral feed to the silver screw.The black and neutral feed wires should be connected to the other switches and neutrals as they where when you first opened the box."
Now where does the white wire for the light switch go?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

It should be pigtailed to the other whites.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok maybe that has been the whole issue. I was thinking the black and white each needed to be attached to switch in some way with switch completing circuit. Everything else is still workig after turning breaker back on now need to make that change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I originally was attempting this with a X7299-W SWITCH BREAKER OULET HOWEVER HAD SAME RESULT. Was stumped thinking was the switch after following box directions
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

All whites connect together with a pigtail to the silver screw of the receptacle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THAT WAS THE FIX... been trying to figure for a couple days what could be wrong. ALL Works now Thanks.
I was originally going to put a GFI combo outlet switch as this dressing area will have sink nearby ... however I nfound the line coming into this box come directly from the GFI in the other bathroom. Any reason I might need one in this room also.?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Not necessary, it would be redundant unless you brought the feed to the box bypassing the existing GFCI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it comes directly ther and then on. THANKS AGAIN... THIS HAD ME STUMPED
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL KEEP THIS SITE IN MIND.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

We're happy to hear that.