ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I installed a ceiling fan into a box in my house where there

Customer Question

I installed a ceiling fan into a box in my house where there was a box in the ceiling but had never been a light. There are three switches on the wall: one that is definitely for a switched outlet in the room and presumably the other two are for a light/fan
combo. The wire coming out of the ceiling had a red, white, and black wires in it. The fan/light combo had blue, white, and black coming from it. I hooked red to blue, white to white, and black to black, but one switch on the wall is turning both the fan and
light on and the third switch is still doing nothing. What did I do wrong?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome back to justanswer.com

The connections you describe are correct. It sounds like the switches are wired wrong or the third switch was meant for something else. If you remove the two switches - the one that controls the fan and the one that does nothing - if wired to switch the fan and light kit separately one of the switches will have 2 black wires on it and the other one should have a black and a red wire on it. But...from what you describe it sounds like the black and red going to the fan are both controlled by one switch. Let me know what you find and we can continue. Thank you