Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

What if the traveler wires are not the same color at both

Customer Question

what if the traveler wires are not the same color at both switches?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The traveler wire colors are always recommended to be the 2 same wire colors. Having different colors suggests that a splice was made either inside the wall switch boxes or possibly at another junction box. Somewhere you have a transition splice that took place. The electrical code does not mandate or specify any particular wire color for the 2 travelers, but it is industry best practice to obviously have them the same color contiguous from one switch to the next switch.

2) If you have a digital voltmeter with a built-in audible continuity feature or an ohm meter, the wire colors can be traced out. When checking for continuity, the circuit breaker must be in the OFF position and the circuit de-energized, otherwise the voltage can destroy the meter when set to continuity.

3) Shown in the diagram below is an example of a typical 3 way switch wiring:

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks..............Kevin:)

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin:)