How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike G. Your Own Question
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 7088
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Mike G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was using spray grease cleaner to clean my kitchen wall

Customer Question

I was using spray grease cleaner to clean my kitchen wall exhaust fan (brick ranch house from the 30's). My Dad removed the fan because I was going to have it replaced and apparently some the cleaner got into the outlet and caused sparks and the circuit breaker to trip. We waited until we thought that everything dried and tried to reset the breaker and we still have sparks and the breaker trips. What needs to be done to fix this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. I think the solvent failed the motor and your only alternative is to replace the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying to replace the outlet or the fan? I have a new fan but the sparks are coming from outlet where the fan is no longer plugged in to.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Open the outlet and see if you can see where it's shorting. There should be flash marks. Check the insulation on the wires.

Related Electrical Questions