Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I was using spray grease cleaner to clean my kitchen wall

Customer Question

I was using spray grease cleaner to clean my kitchen wall exhaust fan (brick ranch house from the 30's). My Dad removed the fan because I was going to have it replaced and apparently some the cleaner got into the outlet and caused sparks and the circuit breaker to trip. We waited until we thought that everything dried and tried to reset the breaker and we still have sparks and the breaker trips. What needs to be done to fix this problem?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. I think the solvent failed the motor and your only alternative is to replace the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying to replace the outlet or the fan? I have a new fan but the sparks are coming from outlet where the fan is no longer plugged in to.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Open the outlet and see if you can see where it's shorting. There should be flash marks. Check the insulation on the wires.