mstr_elec
mstr_elec, Electrical Technician
Experience:  30 years in the electrical and control industry
12534217

There is a beeping noise coming from my light fixture above

Customer Question

There is a beeping noise coming from my light fixture above the dining room table
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

How often is the noise? Is it exactly every 1 or two minuets?

If it is perfectly timed using your watch, than it is a battery of a smoke detector in your home elsewhere.

To be sure, lets also try shutting off the main breaker ( probably 100 or 200 amps breaker marked MAIN). This shuts off ALL power to your home. Do you still hear the beeps?

Trace the beeps and check all smoke and co2 detectors. If not those, it could possible be a battery back up for an house alarm system, Verzion box, or some other device. Please let me know what you find so I can assist further

Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, company policy does not allow us for live phone calls. However, I am certain we can find your problem.

Please post back your findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has worked. It is constant and goes from a strong to a beep. Never stops. I only have one smoke detector on the first floor of my town house. No main breaker but have manually turned them all off. I am not sure what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not sound like a smoke detector
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

When a smoke detector battery gets old, the detectors typically emit a beeping sound every moment. The sound willbe more of a chirp then that as you would be testing the unit with the test push button.

I have never seen a light fixture that will beep. Thus at this point I believe its something else.

Is your townhouse only 1 level? If so does it have an attic space? I am wondering if you have a detector in the attic.

Do you feel capable enough to remove the detector from the ceiling? If so, please try and remove the battery and the power cord from the unit.

Next if that does not solve the problem.

Do you feel capable to remove the light fixture from the ceiling? If so, please make sure the power is off.

Lets remove the fixture from the room and see if you still hear the beep in the dining room