mstr_elec
mstr_elec, Electrical Technician
Experience:  30 years in the electrical and control industry
12534217

I have a new ceiling fan and light kit installed. I am

Customer Question

I have a new ceiling fan and light kit installed. I am getting 120volt reading with wall switch on however ceiling fan and light dont work.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

Does this fan come with a remote control? If it has pull chains, you will have to pull them to turn the unit on ( only for the first time) then you can use the wall switch.

Keep the wall switches on while using the pull chains

Let me know what you have so I can be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not have a remote control. We tried both the fan pull chain and the light unit pull chain many times with the wall switch on. Getting 120v at the wall switch. got 120v at the ceiling with switch on before installation. Installed fan with the addition of a 3 ft downrod. Got 120v with wall switch on at the black and white connectors for the light kit. Assumed that it was the relay inside the pull chain piece of the fan so we bought another fan and tried that piece still nothing.
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

You should have a black, blue, and white wire coming out of the fan. Please explain how you connected to the wires coming out of the ceiling.

Also, please test the black and white wire coming out of the ceiling for 120 volts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black and white from ceiling have 120 volts with light switch on. The wires coming out of the ceiling black connected to black, white connected to white and green connected to ground in ceiling fan mount. the bottom of the fan has a 9 pin connector the black and white center pins also read 120 volts and there are seperate black and white leads for mounting the light kit, those also read 120volts
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that information. Everything sounds good so far.

Please put a "known (borrow from a table lamp)" working light bulb in the fixture and try it with the pull chain. Working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry forgot that part. I did that also and it still doesn't work. Also note we took down the old ceiling fan and light kit because they weren't working.
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

I am a bit suspicious with your testing device. What are you using?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
craftsman 82141 digital mutimeter
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

and you have it set on either 200 or 600 VAC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
200 volts ac and It works fine. I know my problem with the fan doesn't make sense. I know enough that based on the setup and testing there is no logical reason it shouldn't work. Even if the fan doesn't work the lights should since we have 120 volts at the connection. I was assuming there must be some strange electrical wiring reason that i didn't know where you could have 120 volts and still not have a functioning light.
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

Agree, this should be a no brainer.

Please test the following:

Black wire and ground wire = should get 120 volts

white wire and the ground wire = should get 0 volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, this will have to be another day as I will have to borrow the ladder again. Thank-you
Expert:  mstr_elec replied 1 year ago.

ok, please let us know the results when you get a chance to test