Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have had to change a bathroom fan/light fixture light bulb

Customer Question

i have had to change a bathroom fan/light fixture light bulb but was unsure of size. Used 28 watts and kept burning out instantly. Tried 60 watt and same thing.HELP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The fixture should contain a label that lists the maximum light bulb wattage to be used. Have you confirmed the listing?

2) What type of light bulbs is the fixture rated for? Incandescent, LED, CFL or all?

3) What type of wall switch controls the fixture? A standard ON/OFF Snap switch or a dimmer switch for the lighting fixture?

4) It is also possible that the light fixture has an over voltage due to a loose wire connection or a faulty splice. Do you have an AC voltmeter available to confirm the voltage at the light bulb sockets?