Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I own 1/2 of a cross lease property in Ellerslie with two

Customer Question

I own 1/2 of a cross lease property in Ellerslie with two attached units and I live in the back unit. We have a shared driveway which is double car width in front of what used to be garages but have now been altered into additional bedrooms. My neighbour has complained about everything I have done since buying 7 years ago. I bought a caravan yesterday and have parked it on what I believe to be my parking area, but my neighbour is being very unreasonable about this.
Please can you tell me what I own interms of property/driveway and what is considered reasonable access?
Also my electricity meter and mains switches are located on her back porch and she is insisting that I move these as they are on her property - what are my options regarding this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Do you have a plat of survey for the property?

2) Have you contacted the local electrical utility provider regarding the mains switches should reside on your side of the property?

3) Does your neighbor have a separate meter or is the meter shared by both of you?

4) Was the property originally a single family dwelling and was later converted to a duplex?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 no
2 no
3 yes
4 no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am surprised that you are answering a question regarding property in new zealand
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies and confirmation.

1) For starters, you should have been provided a plat of survey at the time of the real estate closing. Perhaps you can contact the local municipality and a survey plat exists on file where you pay your property taxes or at the title/deed company?

If no survey plat is available from the municipality or title company, I recommend that you contact a local licensed surveyor and have them survey the property and provide you with a drawing showing the property boundaries and dimensions. Also have the surveyor mark the property boundaries with stakes and/or paint to identify the perimeters. Once the survey is drawn up and certified, file the survey with your local tax municipality so it remains on file. Then there will be no discrepancies from your neighbor to complain about. Everything will be legal at this point pertaining to property boundaries. I also recommend that you retain a real estate attorney and have them approve and give their blessing on all plat survey documents.

2) Since 2 separate meters exist, I recommend that you 1st contact the local electrical utility provider and inquire about the process involved to relocate the meter and main switches to your side of the property or you may require a local electrician or both. In most electrical codes across the world, you should have direct access to your meter and switches and they should reside on your side of the property or reside in a common area.

3) In addition to being a licensed electrician, I am also a Certified Construction Manager for residential dwellings as well as a former licensed home inspector. I'll trade you places. I live in the Chicago area. I'd rather be in New Zealand as I've heard it is beautiful there:)

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!