AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I want to install Led lights bars in my office ( not

Customer Question

I want to install Led lights bars in my office ( not residential ) . In fact , 3 led bars of each 21W on a plug -in 120vAC/12vDC Ul Listed driver/adapter of 72W. Now , I read a week ago that this might be problem with NEC low voltage Class 2 regulation about exceeding 60W ? I m all mixed up about this class 2 regulation. But reading NEC 2014 art411, I do not see any regulation problems for low voltage <30V installations ...QUESTIONS :IS THERE ANY REGULATION PROBLEM IN INSTALLING A 72W DRIVER UL LISTED FOR LOW VOLTAGE LED BARS TOTAL 63W ON A COMMERCIAL SITE ? Btw , all wires from Led bar to driver and from driver to outlet will not be in walls. Wires and plugs are UL approuved material 20AWG running in open space.No hard wiring. Can you email me your answer ? Frank
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

What you have is a listed system, which is approved and labeled for use by UL.

Perfectly fine for use.

411.4 Listing Required. Lighting systems operating at
30 volts or less shall comply with 411.4(A) or 411.4(B).
Class 2 power sources and lighting equipment connected to
Class 2 power sources shall be listed.
(A) Listed System.

Lighting systems operating at 30 volts
or less shall be listed as a complete system. The luminaires,
power supply, and luminaire fittings (including the exposed
bare conductors) of an exposed bare conductor lighting system
shall be listed for the use as part of the same identified
lighting system.

It fully meets the requirements.

Let me know anything further,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why do all suppliers in USA sell only max 60W class 2 Ul listed drivers then ? I m still not sure your answer is right . Can I use a 72W ( not class 2 ) Ul listed driver ?

Ok,

Sorry you do not feel it is right, BUT

The information has to be correct since it comes directly from the National Electric Code.

Nothing else matters since UL governs the lights and components, the NEC governs the installation of the UL equipment.

I do not know where you are getting your information on the 60 watt max? But as you can read in the code, it states nothing about wattage maximum.

Anything with a maximum wattage such as that , is the design by the manufacturer to get a UL listing on the equipment, it has nothing to do with the installation code.

You cannot use a NON Class 2 when the original specifications called for a Class 2.

That is changing the manufacturers UL specifications which gave it the listing to be allowed installation.

CLICK HERE and you can see that they make the LED drivers up to 100 watts, that is the limit that UL8750 allows