Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have 4 outside recepticales. 2 in the front of the house 2

Customer Question

I have 4 outside recepticales. 2 in the front of the house 2 in back. None work, they are not gfi. No breaker tripped. Have a plug in tester and no lights light up so open hot. So what may be going on?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I see that no breakers have tripped. However, I'm curious as to whether any of the breakers are GFI type breakers? If not, you will probably find the outside outlets to be connected to one of the bathroom outlets.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Another possibility is that there is a GFI outlet in the garage, perhaps hidden behind something. Often, we find customers have these and aren't aware of them, and one has tripped... taking out downstream outlets in the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll look in the garage again but the only one I know of is hooked to my freezer which is working
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK, great. I should mention that it's possible for a GFI outlet to appear to work normally, but if you find wires connected to the LOAD terminals on it, those terminals could be dead, not passing power to anything down the line.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I've seen them malfunction in that manner, while still working for something plugged in to the GFI outlet itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK just checked all gfi, with my tester all say normal.also I have never rewired them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They also worked fine till a while ago. The only problem I've e ever had was a electripollc weed eater tripping the breakers. Could be aker be bad.r
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, this could definitely be caused by a failed breaker. Do you have a volt meter you can use to test the output of each breaker?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not here tomorrow will borrow one from work
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. We can continue here tomorrow evening, and the meter will be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jason back again. Where do I set the dial on a klein multimeter to test my breakers
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

There should be a VAC setting. If you don't see it, post the model of the meter and I'll look it up Online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Klein tools mm100
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you see the V with the wavy line, next to the number 200? It's at about the 10 o'clock position on the dial. Please set the meter to that setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now how to test got cover off but location list does not mention outside recepticales
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Place one meter probe on the bar that has all of the bare wires. One at a time, touch the other probe to the breaker terminal screws. By the way, is there an empty port on the meter that a probe could be plugged into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
says 10A
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have black on comm and red probe on v omega
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black on bare wires?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OK, good. You have the probes set up properly. Please post any abnormal readings here. You are looking for about 120 volts from each breaker terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Crud all read 118 to 120
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I was afraid of that. I was hoping it would be as easy as a bad breaker. You may need a circuit tracer if you want to track this down quickly. But that's not something you should run out and buy. It would be cheaper to rent one if you can find one for rent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will do. I be back.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.