Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have replaced the switch and capacitors but still only

Customer Question

I have replaced the switch and capacitors but still only getting 2 speeds seem to be hi and low not sure someone else wired it incorrectly but wouldn't I still have 3 speeds ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Did you replace the 3 speed switch with an exact replacement switch or did you purchase a generic 3 speed replacement switch from Home Depot or Lowe's?

2) Did you take a picture of how the wire colors were originally terminated to the switch or label the wires prior to disconnecting them?

3) Is the replacement capacitor the same micro farad (uf) rating as the original cap?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Capacitors were same
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

What about the 3 speed switch? Is it an exact replacement switch or is it a generic switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch is original equipment, cap size is the same and wire colors the same
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks for confirming.

1) The switch connection should have 4 wire colors with one of them being black. What are the other 3 wire colors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 gray ,brown, green
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

1) The majority of the ceiling fans that I've worked on will contain a black wire that is terminated to the pull switch that is used as the hot conductor. The problem with all of the ceiling fan manufacturers is that they never provide a schematic wiring diagram.

2) Since the fan is working with only 2 speeds, it appears that you have the correct hot wire color connection to the switch. With one of the speeds not working, the 3 switch wires may not be terminated in the correct switch position. The fan switch should be labeled as "L, 1,2 and 3". The "L" connection is for the hot wire which appears that you have that wire color correct since you have 2 speeds. Have you tried to re-terminate the remaining 3 wires on the switch positions "1,2 and 3" to get the medium speed working? The switch terminations for the 3 speeds need to be in the correct order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I'll play with it. I have another fan like it in adjoining room maybe I can compare them lol
It has become a challenge now
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have an identical fan, then compare the wire color terminations on the switch. It is possible that the wires for controlling the 3 different speeds are not in the correct switch order.

You originally mentioned that you replaced the switch. Is the replacement switch identical? If not identical and a generic switch was purchased, then a good chance that the fan speeds will not work correctly. Fan switches may look similar or identical on the exterior, but the interior switching patterns can vary. Thus the reason why an exact replacement switch is necessary.