Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have an outlet that tests 'hot neutral reversal' and all

Customer Question

i have an outlet that tests 'hot neutral reversal' and all upstream outlets also are the same. I checked the light switch (originating power source) and it is all black to black and the lights work. The problem outlet is the last one on the circuit.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Instead of using a 3 prong receptacle cube tester, do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or better yet, an AC voltmeter available? An AC voltmeter is a much more accurate test tool than a cube tester.

2) Was there any recent electrical work performed on the circuit such as swapping out wall receptacles or wall switches, etc?

3) The cube tester is indicating that you have an open or loose neutral conductor somewhere on the branch circuit. I suggest to back the receptacles out from the wall boxes but do not disconnect any wires. If the wires are inserted into the receptacle back stab holes, those are always prone to fail and come loose over time. Receptacle and switch wires should always be terminated to the device side screws and never inserted into the back stab holes. Double check all of the wire connections and splices. Check that the hot wires on the receptacle terminate to the brass screws and the white neutral wires terminate to the silver screws.

Reply back and let me know what you find and we can take it from there............Thanks..................Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Before backing out the receptacles from the wall, make sure you have the circuit breaker in the OFF position for safety reasons:)