ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I need to install Hunter motorized shades that have 18volt

Customer Question

I need to install Hunter Douglas motorized shades that have 18volt wiring with a plug in transformer. A junction box with 110 wiring is near the top of the windows, so I am wondering if a transformer can be concealed in the junction box with the 18 volt wiring going directly into the junction box. I am trying to eliminate seeing the transformer and the wiring. Any suggestions?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

If the transformer is rated to be enclosed it can go in a junction box. This should be in the manufacturers instructions. The line voltage wiring has to be isolated from the low voltage wiring by a physical barrier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there specific transformers that can be purchased that go into a junction box?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware of any. If you will give me the model of the blinds and transformer I will check the ratings and manufacturer recommendations for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manufacturer is Hunter Douglas and I just spoke to them. The transformer needs to be outside. So - can I wire the low voltage wire inside the wall? Do I need special cable?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.

All splices should be in a junction box.