AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have an automatic transfer generator. It is wired just

Customer Question

I have an automatic transfer generator. It is wired just infront of the main circuit breaker panel. With the generator off, and all the circuit breakers in the house off, so that there is supposed to be no power draw in the house, that transfer swith is
humming loudly. Why? Could there be a power draw coming off something that is wired out side of my main panel? If so hiw would I locate it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

It sounds like the coil for the transfer mechanism is the noise you are hearing.

Do you hear the noise when the breakers are all on for the house?

If you have all the breakers off that activates the signal to start the generator. Then if the generator is off, the coil is trying to energize and transfer power form the battery off the generator.

That is the normal sequence.

The coil may be approaching its end of life and has some extra noise, but it will not hurt anything at this point, but may fail in the near future.

Power going to the house or any other location will not make a humming noise.

Let me know what is found,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the generator is wired after the main power switch in the garage, but before the panel of circuit breakers. All the circuit breakers off can not trip the generator. Only the main circuit breaker being off does. So why is the panel humming? For it to hum there has to be a power draw. And yes it hums all the time, unless the generator is off and the main house breaker is off.

Ok,

Give me the make and model of the transfer switch please and I can get the specs and which coil may be humming.

The activation circuit on a Generator should not be wired to the main breaker, they monitor power at the transfer switch from the breaker at the main panel feeding power to the switch, so the specs will also allow the wiring sequence yours uses as well.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here...

Appreciate the pictures, unfortunately the complete Model and Make of the unit is not visible.

Did a short search and with only partial doesn't show anything.

Full make and model would help.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zenith model no. ZTX 20RBC

OK, thanks.

Have the transfer switch manual and connections.

Looks like only one coil and solenoid inside the unit.

Need the information below:

1. Do you hear the noise when the breakers are all on for the house and generator in ready mode?

2. What size breaker in the main panel is connected to the Utility connections on the transfer switch?

Is it on or off when you hear the buzzing?

Thanks