AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a 1 year old ceiling fan with a light kit which

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1 year old ceiling fan with a light kit which accepts 3, 40 watt, candelbra base bulbs. That's what I use. No problem. Then , today the light will not come on at all. The bulbs looked fine but I changed them anyway. No light. The fan works fine.??
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester to check the 2 wires connected to the light kit?

It sounds like the wattage limiter has failed, but prefer to be sure.

They are prone to failure unfortunately. They are required now to limit the wattage on the light kits since the government stepped in a number of years ago.

They do their job, but the issue is the quality is awful on the limiters and they constantly fail.

The other issue is, they can only be found at a few locations on line, and never in any local building supply.

I can suggest the best source for a replacement, www.eceilingfans.com

Best to be sure it is the limiter prior to calling to get one if we can and why it takes a 2 lead tester to check the bulb wires at the light kit.

It could be a pull chain switch if it has one, that can be bypassed if you wish, but the wattage limiter is something that cannot be bypassed for testing.

It could also be a receiver if the fan is controlled by a remote.

So, possible 3 items to check depending on your setup.

Let me know if you can test or which direction you wish to proceed.

Thanks

Also, try only one bulb and see if you get anything out of it, sometimes it will flicker one if the limiter is failing.