Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

22 September 2015 07:00 never mind I see where I can give

Customer Question

22 September 2015 07:00 never mind I see where I can give you a bonus from the first question...thats easier for me...OKay here is my question. I want to install a mini split in my back room because it stays hot because so many windows...so I have ordered
a 1 ton 12,0000 btu 15 seer it is suppose to have 120 volts with a 15 amp circuit that needs 8 amps and it has to be dedicated. I was thinking I was going to have to run a 220 like my big ac has but wanted to know from you if this sounds right...and if so
I have another question about the panels in this house
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Are you looking to continue here, with the new topic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please OKay here is my question. I want to install a mini split in my back room because it stays hot because so many windows...so I have ordered a 1 ton 12,0000 btu 15 seer it is suppose to have 120 volts with a 15 amp circuit that needs 8 amps and it has to be dedicated. I was thinking I was going to have to run a 220 like my big ac has but wanted to know from you if this sounds right...and if so I have another question about the panels in this house
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you can give me the brand and model of the mini split, I'll look up the specs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes tomorrow. Have looked all over the internet for installation manual but havent been able to find it...wanted to order the electrical supplies I need to install it tomorrow...see what you think of what I have found
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

While I was waiting for your reply, I took a phone call from another customer. Just wrapped that up. Looking at your screenshots now.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Screenshot 4 shows the electrical specs. I don't see 120 volts listed for any of the various model numbers.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It shows a draw of 9 amps at 208 to 230 volts. I thought 120 volts, 8 or 9 amps sounded pretty small for a substantial cooling unit.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

So, you DO need a double pole circuit. But it wouldn't need to be a double pole 30 amp, like a standard outdoor air conditioner. You only need a double pole 20 amp circuit. Technically, you could install a breaker as small as 15 amps, and #14 wire. But I don't often use 15 amp circuits for this type of load. If you go with a double pole 20 amp breaker, you need #12 wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12/2 will work fine even if going about 50 feet
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You read my mind. I was just looking to see how many conductors you need. I have in the past seen these units need multiple hot wires, AND a neutral. I don't think yours does, but if you ran 3 conductors plus ground, you'd have an extra wire there if it ends up being needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry was on phone with lowes making an order for an exterior door....so the panel I want to run this from is a panel that was installed outside for the pool. it is coming off the electrical meter box...it is not coming from my main panel like a sub panel would from the house...is that still doable from that panel
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If it is a panel with breakers, and you have the space for the double pole 20, it should be fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay so 12/2 with a 20 amp double pole circuit breaker dedicated circuit should be fine. right. even though going over 50 feet through the attic to the outside unit...does it have to have anything special on the outside like the cut offs for the bigger units..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The length is not a problem. Any outside wire should be in conduit, and should not be Romex type wire. If you need to splice the Romex to individual stranded conductors, just use a junction box to do that. The outdoor unit WILL need a disconnect, unless the breaker you are feeding it from is within sight of the unit and not more than 50 feet away. In consideration of any service technicians that may work on it in the future, I would suggest putting a disconnect right at the unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that was my next question...does it need a disconnect?? Okay not sure I understand the individual stranded conductors and using a junction box...I get the outside wire in conduit...and going through attic just use the outside to the wall. I can get inside the wall as it has only drywall and insulation on it at this point. I am doing windows and had to reframe wall to fit smaller windows....can I run it in the wall come out the t111 to the disconnect
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it would be ideal to penetrate an outside wall with your wire, and bring it right into the back of the disconnect. That way, you won't even need to concern yourself with any individual stranded conductors or junction boxes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
awesome, Okay Jason go to bed....we will talk tomorrow when I have unit in hand..but now I have a list of materials I will need...but the most important need will be you...so are you on tomorrow night
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I usually go to church on Wednesday evenings. But my kids have been so loaded down with homework lately that making it to church is iffy. If I have to stay home to help with homework, I'll be logged in here. If I make it to church, I'll be able to work with you before and after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wonderful Jason and I can relate. My two boys were home schooled so I get the importance of homework.. I use to love helping my boys with that...good night my new friend and will look forward to talking to you tomorrow...whenever is fine..hopefully I will find it pretty easy to install and will be cooler in the backroom this time tomorrow...smiling loudly...sleep well and thanks for your input tonight!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Happy to help, and thankful for your friendliness. Looking forward to wrapping this up, and helping with whatever you tackle next, if you need me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jason, Finally received the unit today....I want to make sure I understand what I am doing here....I found out when it arrived that it is 240 so the same still applies....12-2 outside grade wire through conduit from breaker box with a double pull 20amp circuit breaker run through attic down outside wall and pull wire out to disconnect. go from disconnect with outside grade wire through conduit to unit. Does that sound about right?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it all sounds good. From the disconnect to the unit, you can use a flexible, outdoor rated conduit. We call it "Sealtite". That's kind of a generic name, like "Romex". There are 2 types of liquidtite flexible conduit. One has a metal core in it, and one doesn't. The one with the metal core is better, but costs more. It will hold up longer. The one without the metal core seems a little cheesy to me, to be honest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Jason, Just an update, still havent done the electrical wiring to the ac. Plan on doing it tomorrow. Will let you know if I need help..Thanks Tami
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on the site as much as possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Happy Saturday Jason! I am having some problems finding the 12-3 outdoor wire that I need to go from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit. I know it needs to be outdoor wiring and had no problem finding 12-2 wire for outdoor...any thoughts?? It definitely needs 12-3 going to the head unit.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hey there. If the wire is encased in some type of protective (weather proof) conduit, it doesn't have to be outdoor rated wire. If you use the flexible liquid tight (gray) tubing, you can put any type of wire you want in it. One manufacturer is Carlon. Would you like me to post a product link or page for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally found some had to drive a bit but finally got it....the 12 2 is ran in the attic just waiting for the outside t111 to go up because I am going in behind the wall for a bit before exiting to the disconnect. I did run it in the weatherproof but thought I still had to have out door wiring...is it still okay to have the outdoor running in the conduit? and behind a part of the wall
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Without seeing it, it's difficult to know for sure. But based on your description, it sounds fine. If you want to post some pictures I would be happy to look them over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its too dark to take pics but I tried to draw you a pic...see attached...see what you think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is T1-11
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for posting the diagram. It looks great. I see no issues with proceeding as drawn. There are no Code issues here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
awesome will be in touch either tomorrow or monday when I go to install the disconnect...I have never done one before...I am good with the panel as I have done an install of a bigger panel with what I thought were a million wires coming in but probably only 20 or so....LOL! installing the breaker will be a breeze for me but the disconnect not so much... Thanks for all your doing here....Tami
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quick question. Found 20 amp breaker but could only find 30 amp disconnect will that work and be okay for inspection?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Should be fine. Disconnect amperage ratings are considered "up to" the number. Anything lower is a non-issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 20 amp breaker double pull that I bought wont fit in the box that is on the side of the house....this box is coming off the meter on the side of the house...it has a two breakers in it one labeled main and the other labeled pool...the pool one goes to another sub panel for the pool....I was planing on putting the minisplit in this panel....but the breakers are not the square d breakers they sell at lowes...is there something I am missing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or is this the one I need??
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it appears the panel that has the breaker for the pool takes Square D "QO" series breakers, which are often seen in commercial applications. It's not uncommon to see them in residential applications though. They are a very good model of breaker, so I do like finding them in use in homes. The Lowe's page shows a QO series Square D breaker. Can you post a pic of the breaker you have that doesn't fit the panel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13317-296-HOM220CP___?productId=1013949&pl=1&Ntt=square+d+20amp
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I see the issue. The last link you posted is for Square D's "Homeline" series of equipment. That is a residential rated breaker, and it most likely wouldn't be used anywhere other than in a residential application. In my opinion, the "QO" panel you have is better... a higher grade of equipment. I would just return the Homeline breaker, and get a QO.