AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

We have a bathroom light that uses a 2D 28w GR10q 4pin

Customer Question

Hi, we have a bathroom light that uses a 2D 28w GR10q 4pin Energy Saving Bulb Lamp 3500k [Energy Class A]. It has recently stopped working so I changed the bulb, however the new one is just glowing at the base near the pins and not lighting up. I've tried two bulbs and the same thing happens. Is there a switch or a connection that needs to pressed on these lamps after installing? I don't want to call out an electrician if it's something really simple! Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Unfortunately there are no resets on the fixture or lamp.

What has taken place, is the ballast has failed.

The ballast is the square or rectangular item inside the fixture that wires to the house wiring and then to the lamp socket.

It will have 2 wires off one end and 4 off the other end.

The bulb has a gas inside and the ballast is what fires off the gas to get the illumination of the bulb.

Same as for fluorescent lighting in a commercial building, the long 4 ft and 8 ft tube bulbs you see.

It will need replacing with one identical , using the manufacturer name and model which is printed on the ballast to be sure of a quick, no wiring change fit.

Not real hard to install, up to each individual of what they feel their capabilities are with electrical items..

Let me know anything further that may be needed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! Where would I get one of these ballasts from? and can anyone install them easily? Bearing in mind I don't know much about electrics! Thanks Harriet

Many building supply stores carry them, it just depends since there are so many variations.

Wickes, Beatsons

Online is an easier way, using the Make and Model number you can search Amazon.co.uk

They require to document every wire connection to put it back the exact way that the old one comes out.

Power must be off of course.

If not familiar at all with electrical, it might be best to have someone perform the change to insure proper fitting.

Sometimes the wires can change colors and then you have to read the wiring diagram to make the proper changes.