Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I recently installed a ceiling fan in my living room.

Customer Question

Hello - I recently installed a ceiling fan in my living room. However, it seems to have affected another circuit associated with my upstairs outlets/lighting. Its odd because the ceiling fan and living room outlets are on a separate circuit from the Upstairs lights and outlets. Since installing the fan, the upstairs lights go out completely or, in some cases, are very dim. Then today the upstairs fire alarm went off, again, I assume, because of the power loss. Any thoughts on how I can resolve this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. In as much as the problem started with the installation of the ceiling fan, I suggest checking the connections in the ceiling outlet. Your description indicates a loose connection. If you have a 2 wire voltage tester, you can test to find out if the hot or the neutral is where the bad connection is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im confused as to why the ceiling outlet wiring would affect upstairs lighting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is a loose connection wouldn't the fan itself not be operating correctly? The fan is working fine.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

When a circuit is installed, it runs from box to box. The connection leaving that box more than likely has a loose wire which doesn't affect anything connected ahead of it. Your description of the issue points to that conclusion. Got to check it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. I understand what you are saying
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a tester, you can test a dead outlet when it happens to know which connection to look for the failure at. Let me know and I'll tell you how.