Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Ceiling fan controlled via remote. never used the switch on

Customer Question

ceiling fan controlled via remote. never used the switch on the wall to turn on and off just the remote. stopped working. remote still has power, but fan doesnt work
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? You'll need to open the fan canopy, check the connections and verify that there is 120V.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tester. What else? Do they just stop working from 1 hr to the next?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

If you have a fan that stops working intermittently it is likely a bad connection is making and breaking. That's why I said to check the connections in the canopy. Unfortunately most installation aremade without strilping the fan leads longer. When not longer than and leading into the wirenut, the connection will fail. Wire heats and expands contracts when cool. This makes the fan lead walk out and arc causing the on and off ability to use the fan.