Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

5.5hp portable compressor ran fine I turned it off went to

Customer Question

5.5hp portable compressor ran fine I turned it off went to restart it, and all it does is pop the breaker, I replaced pressure switch still no good, question, can a bad capacitor cause the problem of blowing the breaker? one of them has a small spot on the top, thanks funtz
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

A bad starting capacitor is a definite possibility in causing the compressor to trip the breaker. The good thing about capacitors is that they are generally pretty inexpensive, and not usually extremely difficult to replace.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That being the case, it's worth a shot to replace it, to see if that corrects the problem.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Also, I have a portable compressor that did the same thing several years ago. Mine was essentially brand new when it happened.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't know how it happened, but mine was very low on oil, which caused it to get very hot and trip the breaker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** it a try
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Oddly, it was shipped filled with oil to the proper level, and it never has leaked any oil. So it's a mystery to me where the original oil went. If yours uses oil, you may want to verify that it's at the proper level.