AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I purchased hampton bay motion sensing wall lantern sku#

Customer Question

For AssuredElectrical ONLY!
I purchased hampton bay motion sensing wall lantern sku# ***** I installed two motion detectors on one on and off light switch. Light #1 works perfectly and turns on automatic at night. Light #2 does not turn on at night. At first, I thought it was the light so I returned the light, but the other light works the same way. It does not turn on automatic at night, it will only turn on if I turn the switch to Test mode. I tried covering the sensor with black tape and the light would still not turn on. If I turn the light switch off then on both lights turn on automatically, but it will not turn on automatically. I installed a third light in my backyard with one light switch and one motion sensor lantern and it works perfectly.
Do I need to wire these different? Presently, I have black to black; white to white; and, ground to ground on each light. Help!!! This is my third day working on this issue.
Optional Information:
What have you tried so far?: I purchased hampton bay motion sensing wall lantern sku# ***** I installed two motion detectors on one on and off light switch. Light #1 works perfectly and turns on automaticaâÂ?Â<lly at night. Light #2 does not turn on at night. At first, I thought it was the light so I returned the light, but the other light works the same way. It does not turn on automatic at night, it will only turn on if I turn the switch to Test mode. I tried covering the sensor with black tape and the light would still not turn on. I turned the light with off and then on and both lights worked, but I need both lights to turn on automatically at night. Do I need to wire these different? Presently, I have black to black; white to white; and, ground to ground on each light. Help!!! This is my third day working on this issue.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Based on your wiring, it appears you have it wired correctly, as the fixtures are prewired to the motion sensor and the lamp, so only need to have the power connected.

What is the spacing of the lights? Is is at all possible for the first light to shine too much on the second?

This would make the second light think it is daylight?

I would try this:

Swap the locations of the two lights installed on the same switch and see if the situation goes with the light or changes.

That will help narrow down the situation a bit.

Many of the built in motion sensors are finicky with the sensitivity setting, so set it at 80-90% before testing at night.

That makes it very sensitive to motion with the higher setting.

If these are the tiny sensors they install in some fixtures, half of them fail extremely quick after a very short timeframe and many out of the box

DO NOT use test mode at night as it bypasses the night sensor and will not show if it is all working properly within the electronics.

Let me know how it goes, we will continue as needed.

Thanks