Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

On a house I am looking at buying the electrical wires from

Customer Question

On a house I am looking at buying the electrical wires from the pole pass over the roofline. They are support by what looks like a PVC U-shaped support and the wires appear to have extra coating over them in this area. Is this safe?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is there any chance that you can send me a photograph of the PVC support as well as the service wires so I can evaluate them and provide you with an answer?

You can attach the picture using the paperclip.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. This house is 60 miles from my house. The support It is about 3 ft high. At top is a shallow U-shape pipe configuration and the electric wires rest here keeping them off the roof. It is designed to lift the wire off roof to the metal periscope at far edge of house.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

OK, no problem. I understand as that is a long distance.

1) Yes, that is correct. The National Electrical Code requires a minimum of a 3 foot clearance from the service entrance conductors above the roof line on the riser mast

2) There will actually be 3 wires for the service entrance that extend from the pole to the service riser mast and will enter into the weatherhead. Two of those wires are insulated and those are the hot conductors or phase conductors that enter into the exterior meter. The bare stranded wire is the neutral conductor.

3) Normally, the local electrical codes require that the riser mast be rigid metal conduit along with all metal fittings. Gray electrical PVC conduit is allowed per NEC code to be used as a riser mast, but many building code officials will not allow PVC and will require rigid metal conduit for tensile strength purposes. The area where the 3 service entrance wires entering into riser mast is called the weatherhead. The portion on the weatherhead where the wire holes are located is made out of plastic.

Keep in mind that the area where the home is located may have local electrical codes enforced as well as the National Electrical Code. The local electrical codes can always over ride the NEC if local electrical codes were implemented and enforced.

4) Any chance that you will be at the home any time soon to take a photo or perhaps the real estate agent can send you a picture? Kinda difficult for me to comment on what you have in place unless I can view a picture:)

Your question here can remain open. I am logged on the web site every day. Once you reply back to me with a picture, I can then evaluate what you have in place and comment on the installation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you caN enlarge the attached photo maybe you can assess it.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the picture.

1) I can enlarge the picture a little bit but not enough to clearly view the riser mast.

2) Looks like the riser mast is located on the right side of the roof line near the garage area? I can see a "U-Shaped" configuration, but not sure if this is the "drip loop" of the service entrance conductors that is formed near the weatherhead to keep out rain?