Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Having similar problem harbor bay ceiling fan with light has

Customer Question

having similar problem harbor bay ceiling fan with light has been working fine for three years, just recently will be sitting in the room light will turn off and couple seconds later come back on, happened three times yesterday in a six hour time period
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How is the ceiling fan light controlled? Via a hard-wired wall switch or a remote control or pull chains?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wall switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) Problems such as yours generally indicate a loose wire or a faulty splice connection. Since the fan contains a light kit, double check the fan blue wire splice at the ceiling box.

2) Another possibility is the wall switch is failing. In order to confirm if a wall switch problem or not, you can also temporarily "by-pass" the wall switch and see if the fan problems go away.

3) Lastly, double check the middle tab connection at the light bulb socket. The middle spring like tab inside the light bulb socket is the hot circuit connection to the light bulb. With the wall switch or the circuit breaker in the OFF position, gently bend the light bulb socket middle tab to make sure it is making proper contact with the light bulb. Over tightening of light bulbs can cause the socket tab to be compressed and not making proper contact with the light bulb.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!